-->
young adult book reviews & more

Introducing ReLIT NY: a cool new way to share & donate books

As both a girl living in NYC college housing and someone simply with too many books, I'm all about giving books away. I'm so lucky to have lots of friends who read, so that's generally my go-to place when I need to clean my shelves. But still, there's always the few straggling books that can't find a home, and I have to scramble to figure out what to do with them.

But I think I may have just found my solution! A couple weeks ago, after attending a book signing, I was wandering around Union Square and stumbled upon a strange sight: boxes and boxes of books free for the taking.


Intrigued, I took a closer look. And this is what I learned: that people can drop off gently used books at several donation sites and every month, this organization ReLIT NY distributes them around major subway stations. Isn't this an awesome idea? I made sure to take a bookmark so I could look up where to drop off some of my books later!

Here's a little about ReLIT NY, from their website:
ReLIT NY aims to encourage and promote an interest in reading by making books accessible and cost free and to also spark conversations and bring together the community that surrounds literature..

At the same time ReLIT NY offers a simple solution to a problem faced by many New Yorkers –– a lack of space for all their books, many of which are thrown out and not recycled properly. ReLIT NY offers the first ever attempt at an organized and mass-scale book-sharing program, providing not only a hassle-free but also an environmentally friendly reading option.

For all of you New Yorkers out there, I encourage you to get involved with this amazing program (as I hope to do soon!).

1 munch(es) :

Alex said...

Thanks for this info. It is always good to know where you can donate books that will be read by other people in NYC (where I live)

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.