-->
young adult book reviews & more

Going Vintage by Lindsay Leavitt is Munch-Worthy

Going Vintage

When Mallory discovers that her boyfriend, Jeremy, is cheating on her with an online girlfriend, she swears off boys. She also swears off modern technology. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in 1962, Mallory decides to "go vintage" and return to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn't cheat on you online). She sets out to complete grandma's list: run for pep club secretary, host a dinner party, sew a homecoming dress, find a steady, do something dangerous. But the list is trickier than it looks. And obviously finding a steady is out . . . no matter how good Oliver (Jeremy's cousin) smells. But with the help of her sister, she'll get it done. Somehow.

Lindsey Leavitt perfectly pairs heartfelt family moments, laugh-out-loud humor, and a little bit of romance in this delightful contemporary novel.

While I certainly have an appreciation for vintage style, I highly doubt that I could truly "go vintage" in the sense of Mallory's grandmother's time. No technology? I wouldn't last a day without my iPod! But, that's probably why I want to read this book, to see how Mallory adopts a vintage lifestyle in a modern time.

But also, I just want to read this story because it sounds completely charming!

For the record, though, I just want to put it out there that I totally sewed a dress, for prom, though, instead of homecoming (though my mom will tell you different, I totally made it). Does this make me vintage too? Oops, I'm using a laptop to set up this blog post.

Releases March 26, 2013 from Bloomsbury USA Childrens.

1 munch(es) :

holdenj said...

Am on the list for it already--has a cute premise. Other than cooking from scratch now and then, don't know if I could follow grandma's list either!

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.