-->
young adult book reviews & more

The ABC of It exhibit at the NYPL

I'm not really the type of person who goes to museums all the time to check out new exhibits, but I found myself with some extra time on Tuesday and within walking distance of an exhibit I did want to see: The ABC of It at the New York Public Library.


As you can see from the picture above, The ABC of It was all about children's books. Wandering around the exhibit, I saw lots of old and new favorites from The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum to The Arrival by Shaun Tan. There were lots of cool tidbits about the history of books for children, the evolution of physical children's books, the development of the picture book form that combined written stories and art, the censorship of children's books and more.

Here are some of my favorite parts of the exhibit:

The Poky Little Puppy, which I vaguely remember from when I was a kid, was one of the first picture books to be mass produced 
My Mad Libs version of a passage from Hans Christian Andersen's short story, "The Snow Queen"
Alice in Wonderland grows in the NYPL!

In all, The ABC of It was an awesome exhibit that was a lot of fun, informative, and stimulating. I highly recommend New Yorkers to check it out! And if you're not nearby, this exhibit will be open through March of next year in case you ever happen to be passing through.

0 munch(es) :

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.