-->
young adult book reviews & more

She’s So Money by Cherry Cheva

She's So MoneyShe’s So Money is the story of a Thai teenage girl named Maya living in Michigan. She’s the nerdy smart girl who tutors for extra money. She’s the girl who waitresses at her parents’ Thai restaurant for tips which go into the college fund. She’s also the girl who’s never been kissed, wants to go to Stanford, pisses off one unhappy vegan customer, and now has to come up with $10,000 in fines to pay the Health Department.

That’s right; the one time Maya’s parents leave Maya is charge of the restaurant, nearly everything that can go wrong does. The angry vegan customer threatens to call the Health Department, and at first Maya doesn’t take her seriously. Unfortunately, she and her brother also decide to save cleaning up the restaurant for the next day. That leads to the large fine. Maya is too ashamed to tell her parents, her brother, or her friends. All that’s left to do is come up with the money to pay the debt. The only problem is how. Maya then makes the decision to do other people’s homework for money.

When I first saw this book, I have to admit that I was a little skeptical because the cover was a little over the top. But, I tried not to judge and started reading. I was very impressed. Cherry Cheva does a fantastic job of portraying the strict Asian parents of the geeky Asian girl (and I would know). Some of the characters were stereotyped, such as the nerdy Asian kid and the ditzy popular girls. There were a couple slightly unexpected twists, but the plot was overall straightforward. It seemed a little unrealistic that the popular guy Camden fell for Maya in the end, because things like those almost never happen in real life, but it was cute anyway.

I definitely recommend this novel to all people interested in accurate representations and stories of high school. The novel is very funny, and readers who liked The Squad series by Jennifer Lynn Barnes will especially appreciate the humor. I also think readers who liked How Not to be Popular by Jennifer Ziegler will also find She’s So Money a fun read.

Rating: 4.0

Review copy from author Cherry Cheva

9 munch(es) :

Anna said...

I just got this book from borders on Saturday and I can't wait to read it. :D

this review was really good. [:

je t'aime
hope.

Chelsea said...

I loved this book! Glad you liked it, too. :)

Liv said...

Nice review! I have this book on my to-read list but I was also a little skeptical because of the cover. I'll have to read it for sure now!

the story siren said...

great review! i'm glad you liked it! i did too!

Anonymous said...

I'm not too wild about the cover either, but the book is fabulous.

Keri Mikulski said...

Great review.. I kind of like the cover. It grabs my attention. :)

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the cover, so I don't get why people don't like it. Perhaps it's because I love over-the-top covers like that, lol. It really grabs your attention. It's just an amazing cover- the hair everywhere, the pretty girl, the gawdiness of it. Ah, I just love it. But I am gay, so I tend to love gawdy things, lol.

Anyway, the review was fantastic. Great job!- I love how you include both good and bad things about the books you read. :)

This book is on my TBR list. Can't wait to get to it!!

BC

Anonymous said...

I've heard this is a funny book, I really want to read it. ^^

Anonymous said...

I Read This Book In Like 3 days NONSTOP!!!
=]
And I'm Not A Really Good reader.
Lol
Also,
If You Like This Book Try This Lullaby.
Awsome As Well!!
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yah Digg??
Pick One Up,
Like Today!!
:]

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.