-->
young adult book reviews & more

Bloom by Elizabeth Scott

BloomLauren is a lucky girl, mostly because of her perfect boyfriend Dave. He’s a star football and baseball player and incredibly gorgeous, not to mention extremely smart, loyal, and nice. Her grades are fine and she’s got a great friend Katie, but she doesn’t realize that she’s missing out on anything until Evan Kirkland shows up. Lauren is almost an entirely different person with Evan, because she doesn’t pretend anything with him. But even as a passionate relationship with Evan develops, Lauren can’t bring herself to break up with her perfect boyfriend Dave. She’s torn between her two personalities: the one that accepts her life with Dave as perfect even though it’s boring or the more wild and honest side that Evan brings out.

Bloom was a very romantic and sexy story. However although I loved the story, I didn’t always love Lauren. She was just so frustrating sometimes, especially when she couldn’t make up her mind between which guy she wanted. I have to forgive her though, because she’s really only human (even if she is fictional). The setting of high school was not particularly unique, but I felt that the story worked well in it. Also, I liked how the story stayed pretty focused on Lauren’s problems instead of meandering onto Katie’s or Dave’s problems. However, by touching on these other character’s problems, I was left with many unanswered problems regarding them and I wished there were more of these characters in the story. Nevertheless, I felt that Bloom was a very honest and definitely romantic story that I’d reread if I had time.

I have to say though that I preferred Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott to her first novel, Bloom, because it was just more unique, but I still did enjoy reading Bloom. I recommend this novel for fans of Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan, Wake by Lisa McMann, and When It Happens by Susane Colasanti.

Rating: 4.5

Review copy from personal collection

29 munch(es) :

Shonda said...

Hi... I enjoyed reading your review on Bloom. I will start it sometime this afternoon. I've heard great things about this book and the author. I'm looking forward to it. i do have to say this year, I've really gotten back into reading YA Fiction. I've been pleasantly surprised with the books I've read so far. Takes me back to my teen years and all the books I read during summer vacations.

Keri Mikulski said...

Sounds like a good one. Thanks for the review. :)

Anonymous said...

It's definitely one of my favorites

Anna said...

I enjoyed Stealing Heaven and Perfect You a lot more than Bloom. I don't know what it was about it. It was still a really good story, I just didn't enjoy it as much as the other two.

hope.

Ashley said...

good review. it made me want to read it. definitely adding this book to my "to read" list!

Melissa Walker said...

ooh, i loved bloom so i can't wait to read the others (which i own and must, must, must read soon!)

Anonymous said...

I love your review! I've read Bloom a while ago and have found that some people didn't like it. I completely agree with not loving Lauren in the beginning, she was a tad bit annoying. In the end. I couldn't help loving the story and reread it again =)

sweetmelissa818 said...

I picked this up from the library a while back and didn't have time to read it.

asdfjkl; said...

I've read quite a few "good" reviews for Bloom and I'm feeling terribly out of the loop. My sister just won a copy from somewhere so I'll have to try reading it, though I would rather read Stealing Heaven first. :)

Amanda said...

I keep telling myself to read an Elizabeth Scott book but I never did yet. I really should though.

Shalonda said...

I've had this one on my shelf for a while now. Time to start reading it and Perfect You. I became an Elizabeth Scott fan for life after reading Living Dead Girl.

Liviania said...

I love romantic stories. Plus, Elizabeth Scott seems really cool.

Brooke Reviews said...

I enjoyed stealing heaven as well. I'll have to check Bloom out some time.

katayoun said...

i haven't read any scott, though i have a couple of her books on my wishlist including bloom (and also stealing heaven)

tynlyd said...

I loved Living Dead Girl and am afraid to read this now. I am soneone who really likes to like the main character and am afraid that if she's annoying it'll ruin how I feel about Elizabeth Scott.

donnas said...

Good review. I have mixed feeling about reading the book though, I like to like the main character. I dont like it when they annoy me.

Mandy said...

Great review. I've been on and off on wanting to read this book for a while. You've made me want to read it again. Thanks. :)


-Mandy

Katie said...

I like your review and I have read some of Elizabeth Scott's books but not this one. At least not yet.

kbpup903@yahoo.com

Genevieve said...

Hmmm... I loved Wake by Lisa McMann. Perhaps I'll look into this book some more.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read this book yet, but i've read all of her other books so far, and I loved them.
lizzieland@optonline.net

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this review. I've heard this book mentioned so many times, and I wondered what it was about.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

It sounds interesting. I don't know if I'll read it anytime soon. I think other books by Elizabeth sound better.

-Lauren

lauren51990 AT aol DOT com

Korianne said...

I met some girls at Barnes and Nobel over the holiday break, Sydney and Brooke(they blog at Blue Lilly and Brooke's Closet if you have heard of them)and they said that this was a good read, but more a of a library rental than a book they would purchase. Do you agree?

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate the honesty of your reviews, and also how you tell us what other books would appeal to a similar audience so we can gauge if we'd like it.

xdeex said...

I know really want to read this book because of your review. Especially since I did enjoy Wake and When it Happens.

Anonymous said...

You make this book sound really goood

Michelle Kuo said...

This book is now on my wishlist of books I want read! Sounds like a typical romance novel except much more deep and twisted.

Paradox said...

I love the cover of Bloom! I'll have to find a copy sometime.

Finex Iron Pan said...

This book is not an important read by any means, but rather is a good light-hearted read, perfect for a sunny day at the beach or a lazy rainy day on the couch. This is the perfect novel if you are looking to smack a big grin onto your face while reading.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.