-->
young adult book reviews & more

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

The Host: A NovelEarth has been invaded by parasitic souls. The souls think they are helping the humans by purging the Earth of violence; the resisting humans see it differently. Humans have become hosts for these parasites and been forced to relinquish control of their bodies and minds to the souls. The resisting humans see this as bad a murder, if not worse.

Wanderer is a soul who has chosen Earth as the setting for her ninth life. She is given the body of Melanie Stryder, a recently captured resister. Wanderer had been informed about the increased difficulties of a mature adult host, but she never expected Melanie’s mind to still be there. Melanie, always a fighter, refuses to give up. Instead, she tries to protect the humans she loves from Wanderer, lest a Seeker find them and make them available hosts. But Melanie slips up and Wanderer gains knowledge of the existence of Jared, the man Melanie loves. Strangely, though, Wanderer finds herself unable to completely separate her body’s desires from her own, and she begins to fall in love with this human she’s never met. Soon, an annoyingly persistent Seeker unites Melanie and Wanderer, and they set off to find the man they both love.

I will admit that after reading the slightly disappointing Breaking Dawn, I was afraid Stephenie Meyer’s writing had gone downhill, but after reading The Host, my faith was restored. Firstly, the idea behind this story, a science fiction romance was so unique that it immediately captured my interest. On top of that, the characters, especially Wanderer and Melanie, were so well-developed that their actions were always easy to understand. Plus the sense of desperation added in some action. I loved how everything fit together perfectly in the end, even though that doesn’t leave room for a sequel. The ending of the story, probably the last fifty pages or so, was my favorite part of the book, because that was when everything came together; every character realized his/her importance and other conflicts were unexpectedly resolved. I don’t think I could’ve asked for a better story than this; it was all I was hoping for from the incredible author of Twilight and more.

I loved this story and recommend it to all readers, whether they are fans of Stephenie Meyer/science-fiction/romances or not. Length shouldn’t be an issue either; those 600 pages really flew by. I suggest everyone find a copy of The Host so they can read this amazing story for themselves.

Rating: 5.0

Review copy from personal collection

11 munch(es) :

Lenore Appelhans said...

I am way more interested in this that I am in the Twilight series.

Anonymous said...

I loved this book, and i agree it may look ling, but it goes by so fast. I can't wait for the next book in the series.

Kelsey said...

I couldn't agree more! This book was phenomenal. I think I liked it more then Twilight. I cannot wait for a sequel! Fabulous review!

PS. I'm having a contest. could you add it to your contest list?

Thanks!

~Kelsey

Liv said...

I loved this book as well. It was so much more unique and original than the Twilight series. I'm really hoping that Stephenie continues the series; she's said there's a strong possibilty that she will. *crosses fingers*
Great review!

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with you on this. I loved the Host. Jamie was so sweet. <33

Harmony
BTW, please check my blog. You won a contest. I'll still let you email me since you're not the only one who hasn't contacted me but can you do it soon? Please?

Cassandra said...

jamie is awesome, but I like Ian better. it's kind of a curse of mine to always fall for the romance factor in the book.

Marg said...

Ian was my favourite as well! Totally loved this book and will definitely reading the sequel if there is one!

H said...

That is so interesting that you read this after Breaking Dawn. I absolutely loved this book because the characters were so fully realized for me (I am a sucker for Ian myself). This was the book where I actually got to meet Stephanie Meyer and see just what an amazing down-to-earth person she is. I am so glad so many others like this book as well.

Anonymous said...

Stephenie has done it again. I don't know how, but omg it was good.

caterpillarchic727 said...

I think I'll check this one out. I do love Stephanie very much, and everyone seems to be enjoying her work. I might as well...

Anonymous said...

I totally agree,I loved how this book was so unique and well written though the beginning was somewhat confusing and made me want to stop reading I was just so determined to see what it was that everyone lked about it, and I'm glad that I did
btw who would fall for Ian he's so sweet and charming.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.