-->
young adult book reviews & more

Why I Let My Hair Grow Out by Maryrose Wood

Why I Let My Hair Grow OutWhat’s the perfect response to teenage rebellion in the form of a self-performed haircut and orange dye job? Just ask Morgan Rawlinson’s parents, because when this spunky gal does just this after her boyfriend dumps her, and on the last day of school to boot, their solution is the very logical one to send her on a bike tour of Ireland. Depressed at the limited fashion opportunities for bikers, but with not better alternative than sulking away at home, Morgan reluctantly goes. Everyone else on the bike tour seems to be afflicted with a different kind of crazy although the guy who drives the luggage van, Colin, isn’t too bad looking, but what’s really strange are the people she meets after her bike accident—the faeries and wee folk. Caught up in two worlds, modern day Ireland and this same land but in an old Irish myth she never thought was real, Morgan is going to have to figure out how to balance her two missions—to snag hunky Colin and to solve a faerie riddle to rid the Ireland of legend form its faerie curses.

Witty, hilarious, and creative, Why I Let My Hair Grow Out is a highly engaging and entertaining read that I could not put down. The inclusion of old Irish legends makes the story all the more original and unique, even if it is spun, through Morgan’s frank is sometimes immature perspective, in an amusingly modern way. The only part of this novel I enjoy even more than the faerie angle is Morgan’s character. Despite all the ridiculous and unbelievable situations she finds herself in, Morgan remains realistic and lovable. Her intelligence and determination, not to mention her won’t-take-no-for-an-answer attitude, make her a joy to read about. I liked how Morgan is both a little juvenile and yet also mature; Wood captures the teenage girl’s mind so well. My one small problem was that I kept mixing up some of the names from the Irish legend and Morgan’s modern day journey, especially because some were the same. However, I did like the parallels between the people from the Irish legend and Morgan’s tour mates.

Why I Let My Hair Grow Out is certainly a singular and lovable novel, and one with possibly the best cover art of any book I’ve ever seen. Fans of The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King, Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs, and Into the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst will also enjoy this fantastic read. I look forward to the continuation of Morgan’s story in How I Found the Perfect Dress.

Rating: 4.5

Review copy from personal collection

11 munch(es) :

Unknown said...

I love this cover! It's so unique and very pretty, in a fae sort of way :)

I am glad you enjoy it! The Irish legend inclusion is an interesting twist, and I will have to check it out!

Anonymous said...

oooh. Sounds really good. Maybe i'll spend the rest of my gift card on that...

thank you

Bookworm said...

Oh, yay! I can't wait to begin this now! Great review! And I love the colorful cover, too!

Diana Dang said...

I adore this book!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I love that cover! She looks so much like that girl from Paramore!

Jen said...

Id love to read that! The cover really appeals to me!

RR2 said...

This sounds really good!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steph Bowe said...

The cover looks fantastic. Great review!

Steph
http://heyteenager.blogspot.com

katayoun said...

i also loved this book and would really like to read your review on "How I Found the Perfect Dress"

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.