-->
young adult book reviews & more

False Memory by Dan Krokos

When Miranda North wakes up alone on a park bench, she can’t remember anything. Confused and panicked, she releases a strange energy that causes everyone around her to run—in sheer terror. The only person who understands Miranda’s strange abilities is Peter, a boy Miranda supposedly knows but can’t remember and maybe the only person she can trust. It turns out that, like Peter, Miranda is part of an elite group of teens who have all been genetically enhanced so that they possess a unique and incredible destructive psychic ability. Miranda and Peter have never had a reason to question their lives or their powers—until they discover that they may be center of a deadly plot with international repercussions. It’s a race against time, and both the past and the future are equally important as Miranda struggles to save the world as she knows it.

False Memory is a fast paced and action packed thriller of a story with plenty of exciting action sequences, surprising twists, and general suspense to keep every reader thoroughly engaged. I found myself completely sucked into Miranda’s story as she tries to find her place in a foreign world she doesn’t remember, one that involves hand to hand combat, strange medications, and psychic abilities to incite fear in others; her internal struggles to figure out who she is were just as riveting as the more physical threats she must fight. I’ve always been interested in science fiction, so Krokos’s unique world was just irresistible to me, even if his biological and psychological explanations didn’t always make the most sense. Fortunately, I was able to suspend my disbelief of any nonsensical science so I could fully appreciate this story’s exciting plot; you can be sure that I’m eagerly awaiting the sequel to False Memory.

This novel will be enjoyed by fans of The Lab by Jack Heath and Skinned by Robin Wasserman.

Rating: 4.5

Review copies from author Dan Krokos and BEA

4 munch(es) :

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

I can't wait for this one! I love action packed thrillers! :)

traveler said...

What a great novel that you have previewed. The review captivated my interest. Thanks. saubleb(at)gmail(dot)com

Tricia C. said...

I just finished reading Michael Vey The Prisoner of Cell 25; this novel reminds me of it in some ways. Will definitely add this to my list.

holdenj said...

Sounds like another good twist to the sci fi world. I would like to read Miranda's story!

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.